Monday, February 24, 2014

Do teachers really need rules and consequences?

An article I posted at ASCD EDge, Top five reasons to eliminate classroom rules, has gotten plenty of
attention. When EDge promoted the article to its Facebook page, comments from teachers poured in.

Some people can't grasp the idea of a classroom devoid of rules and consequences. One skeptic writes, "Good luck with that." Another more emphatically states, "You've got to be kidding."

Others see the concept as easily as I do. "It's about relationships," one teacher comments. Another discusses the value of a student-centered approach.

Still, the discussion fascinates me. I'm curious what you think about rules and consequences. Do we really need them?

Mark Barnes is an education author and consultant and the publisher of Brilliant or Insane. Learn more about Mark on our Team page. Follow him on Twitter here.

  • Blogger Comment
  • Facebook Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2014 Brilliant or Insane? All Right Reserved
Designed by CBTblogger