Dear Parents: I want to stop grading your children
My friend, Joy Kirr, replied to this blog post, in which she suggested a parent letter about grades, so I decided to write one. Feel free to share it with parents at your school.Dear Parents:
Grades hurt your children, and I never want to grade them again. Grades are harmful in every imaginable way, and they are inhibiting your child's learning. You may not realize this, because you have only encountered one education system, and it has always been built on measuring success with numbers, percentages and letters.
The research
- Thomas Guskey (multiple sources)
- John Hattie (Visible Learning)
- Alfie Kohn (multiple sources)
- Daniel Pink: Drive the Surprising Truth about What Motivates Us
- Dylan Wiliam (multiple sources)
- Mark Barnes: Role Reversal: Achieving Uncommonly Excellent Results in the Student-Centered Classroom
Why are grades bad?
Worst of all, though, is that instead of learning for learning's sake, students strive to get a particular grade -- typically the one their parents' want. If you demand A's, they will likely do whatever it takes to get A's. If you're satisfied with C's, they will decrease their effort.
What this system breeds is children who learn to manipulate a system in order to earn a number or a letter, when what we should have is independent learners, eager to acquire knowledge and to become critical thinkers and problem-solvers. Do we really want to measure these important qualities?
How to evaluate without grades?
So, what goes on the report card?
So, please support me in changing how we evaluate learning. I want to eliminate grades, as much as our system will allow. I will provide ongoing narrative feedback for your children and for you. Most important, I promise, my students, your children will become amazing independent learners, who never again ask, "What's this assignment worth?"

Kudos to the idea, despite the obvious suspicion and/or shock this will arouse from parents. This would imply an upheaval of the forms of assessment in schools, entrance examinations and job interviews even. To a certain extent, this happens in companies where line boss and employee decide on how well the latter has done over a period of time.
ReplyDeleteHey Stephan, I agree that this is an upheaval in how we assess. And it's high time. There certainly is an immediate shock at this approach, but shock quickly changes to approval, when feedback is presented properly to all stakeholders.
Delete