5 reasons homework destroys learning
![]() |
| via parenting-blog.org |
This article explains why I stopped assigning homework. Meanwhile, here are 5 more reasons homework destroys learning.
- Homework rarely connects to the real world -- My daughter recently had to complete 14 long division problems. Frustrated, she asked, "Why do I even need to know this?" I couldn't answer. Why not ask her to solve a problem on her iPad, using a cool math app? This is far more realistic.
- Most homework is assigned for practice -- There is very little research supporting extra practice, such as 15 math problems or writing Spanish sentences, as a means of improving achievement. Application of skills to larger problems is much better for internalizing knowledge.
- Students often don't understand the homework assignment -- My children come to me daily for help, because they don't understand the assignment. Can someone explain why I have to do fourth-grade grammar? Why do fourth graders, for that matter?
- Homework cuts into family time -- Today's my birthday. We can't celebrate, until homework is done. What's up with that?
- Homework is not fun -- As Cindy Lauper once sang, "Girls just want to have fun." (Boys too.) If homework is purportedly related to learning, and almost universally kids agree that it is not fun, then it stands to reason that homework destroys learning. Why would any educator ever give students something that destroys their love of learning?
Still, the homework madness continues.
Mark Barnes is an education author and consultant and the publisher of Brilliant or Insane. Learn more about Mark on our Team page. Follow him on Twitter here.

I as a teacher believe that homework can be detrimental. Some independant work is OK but to assign hours of homework everyday is a burden on the student. Education not only includes "book Learning" but also social and emotional skills. relaxation and having fun is just as important in forming a well rounded individual.
ReplyDeleteHey, C L, I agree with you -- independent work is important. What I found worked best was giving kids choice in what they did to demonstrate learning. If I created outstanding learning opportunities, my students would choose to work outside of class. Also, not penalizing them with a grade helps.
DeleteThanks for weighing in on this.
As my son went through school I saw a strong correlation to the worst teachers giving the most homework. Students are in school almost 8 hours per day. If more time was given to math and reading skills they could easily learn it all in a school day. Stop assigning literature. The books are boring and worthless. A second language should be optional. Give the kids more time to absorb the basics, and less on BS. Schools have become more a teacher employment program than an education program.
ReplyDeleteI don't think all teachers who assign homework are "the worst teachers." Many are relying on methods they learned back to their pre-service days. It's a traditional cycle that is difficult to escape.
DeleteI taught using traditional methods for over a decade, because it's all I knew. Students need literature, but they need choice. Forcing them to read classics they may hate doesn't encourage a love of reading.
I'm not sure what you mean by schools becoming a "teacher employment program." I think all teachers still have the best interest of students in mind; sadly, many are rooted in outdated methods, like homework.
Thanks for chiming in on this hot topic.