Saturday, January 4, 2014

Can solidarity crush accountability?

An honest and forthcoming reader of the Brilliant or Insane blog recently observed that my position as a former classroom teacher empowers me to say and do things that many educators can't do, out of fear for their teaching lives. In other words, since I'm no longer accountable to school administrators, it's easy for me to say, "Throw out homework, worksheets, testing and grades," because I don't answer to anyone for my opinions.
via: rosecouture.wordpress.com

This topic of accountability recently came up at a workshop I was leading with a unique collection of teachers and administrators from three states, so I'm acutely aware of the argument. "What do we do about testing and colleges who want GPAs?" one participant asked, after I outlined the deleterious effects of traditional teaching methods and grades.

Pausing to contemplate this very important question, I asked the audience to look around and consider the remarkable group of roughly 80 people. Educators from dozens of schools, spanning many miles and three state lines all gathered to discuss student-centered learning and bold education reform.

"If we take the conversation back to our schools and communities," I answered, "this will become a real movement. Sooner or later, we just have to stand up for our students and say, No, to bad practice. If we act together, the bureaucrats will have to take notice."

Perhaps I do have a sense of invincibility, but it's not because I'm no longer being held accountable by school administrators or high stakes testing. Rather, it is because courageous, intelligent teachers across the country are asking these critical questions and sparking discourse here and nationwide.

I believe that if educators stand together with voices stentorian, we can do what's right without fear of a bad evaluation or a failed standardized test.

What do you think? Can solidarity crush accountability?
  • Blogger Comment
  • Facebook Comment

2 comments:

  1. Dear Mark,

    What an excellent post! I work at Palmer Trinity, a great private school. Administrators there support my blogging efforts on SpinEdu, as well as my guest posts for much bigger news sites. But I imagine that this isn't true of all schools. I would be curious to know if many schools have policies against teachers speaking against certain policies or practices, or if "unwritten" rules or social norms preclude more teachers from engaging in academic reform.

    On a related note, I have at least three stories that I'm dying to write but fear doing so—not so much because my administrators wouldn't support my posting of them, whether in agreement or disagreement with their content, but because of what the larger school world (public, private and charter) would think, and the repercussions that this might have for my future teaching career.

    I would be glad to chat more with you about this very important topic. All the same, thanks so much for all that you do!

    Best,

    David Cutler
    Founder of Spin Education

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey David,

      Thanks for weighting in on this delicate issue. Maybe I'm naive, but I would think that any school worth your efforts would be open to your opinion and free speech. You are a true pro, and I think your work speaks for itself.

      I think these conversations help move us in the right direction on teachers doing and saying what's right. Let me know if you follow up on Spin Ed. I'd love to comment.

      Delete

Copyright © 2014 Brilliant or Insane? All Right Reserved
Designed by CBTblogger