Saturday, March 15, 2014

5 reasons to stop giving traditional quizzes in school

via quotesbuddy.com
In my days as a traditional teacher, I loved the quiz. I informed students and parents that the quiz was a valuable tool, because it held students accountable. The "pop" quiz was an even greater weapon, as it kept students in a constant state of anxiety, always wondering when they'd be caught unprepared and their grade would be doomed.

When I converted my class to a Results Only Learning Environment, I eliminated all testing, including quizzes. Here are five reasons that I stopped giving traditional quizzes.
  1. Most quizzes are made up of multiple choice items, which provide inaccurate results, because you never really know when a student guesses.
  2. Many students simply don't test well, so they may know the material but get the quiz questions wrong.
  3. There are many activities that engage students and are conducive to formative assessment, which is far less threatening than a quiz and provides much better feedback.
  4. Quizzes create anxiety and tend to hurt students' grades.
  5. If the goal is to check for learning, why not use a tool like Socrative, which will give you a good pulse of what students know, without punishing them with a punitive grade.
Do you know any reasons I left out?



Mark Barnes is an education author and consultant and the publisher of Brilliant or Insane. Learn more about Mark on our Team page. Follow him on Twitter here.

  • Blogger Comment
  • Facebook Comment

2 comments:

  1. This would be a helpful post if it did not mention Socrative as an option. How is Socrative much better than a quiz, though it might reduce anxiety? It is still comparable to a multiple choice quiz item, which you have already derided as not an effective way to assess learning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, Judy, Socrative is much more than a simple quizzing tool. Socrative provides a written response option, a graphic option and an exit ticket -- all wonderful for formative assessment and feedback. Plus, Socrative can be set up to supply instant feedback to the students on their responses.

      Thanks for weighing in on this.

      Delete

Copyright © 2014 Brilliant or Insane? All Right Reserved
Designed by CBTblogger