Thursday, January 9, 2014

Is homework breaking your child's back?



Although this picture may need more pixels (or is it less?), the message, I believe, is clear. This is my 9-year-old's backpack.

It's filled with folders, numerous workbooks, a few hardcover texts and an assortment of pens and pencils.

Just prior to capturing the image for posterity, I picked up the bag; it had to weigh nearly 20 pounds. The homework itself is bad enough, but watching my daughter sling this boulderesque satchel over her shoulders made me realize what's worse.

Homework may be breaking my child's back.
  • Blogger Comment
  • Facebook Comment

2 comments:

  1. Mark, that is horrible! We had to excuse our daughter from homework in second grade because of all the trouble it was causing at home. The brain-draining, coloring math worksheets were destroying her love of math but at least they didn't weigh much. Luckily, we got her into a multiage program in 3rd grade with a teacher who doesn't give homework so we've had no homework problems for the past two and half years!

    There's gotta be something you can do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alfonso, I do intend to speak to her teachers about the issue. At an appropriate time, I'm going to sit down with her principal to discuss homework and other traditional methods being used at the school, with the goal of helping them transition to a more progressive style of teaching.

      Keep your fingers crossed.

      Delete

Copyright © 2014 Brilliant or Insane? All Right Reserved
Designed by CBTblogger