5 books every educator should read
As a full-time education presenter, I meet thousands of teachers. I'm always amazed to learn how few have read any of the books that helped transform me from a traditional teacher to a student-centered classroom facilitator.![]() |
| via: Amazon.com |
With far too many teachers missing out on material that could potentially change their lives and the lives of their students, I decided to share the five books that I believe every educator should read.
Although the titles below are numbered, they are in no particular order of importance. Read any one today, and you'll be a better teacher tomorrow.
- Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us, by Daniel Pink. This book will help you understand what inspires learning, which is critical to the success of any teacher.
- The Homework Myth: Why Our Kids Get Too Much of a Bad Thing, by Alfie Kohn. Far too many teachers rely on homework, because it's always been part of education. Kohn, the consummate researcher, exposes the myth that homework helps students achieve.
- The Book Whisperer: Awakening the Inner Reader in Every Child, by Donalyn Miller. All we hear about is how we are a nation of non-readers. Miller demonstrates that every child will grow to love books and become an avid reader, if reading is approached the right way in schools.
- The Element: How Finding Your Passion Changes Everything, by Sir Ken Robinson. Sadly, education leaders are so enamored with testing, data and global competition that creativity is often left out of the classroom. A brilliant storyteller, Robinson provides a host of examples of how creativity and passion made many great people what they are today.
- Teach Like Your Hair's on Fire: The Methods and Madness Inside Room 56, by Rafe Esquith. While some may find it difficult to work as hard as Esquith does (I know I couldn't), his strategies for engaging reluctant learners are revolutionary and truly inspiring.
For me, these books were transformational. Which books inspire you?

0 comments:
Post a Comment