We must teach our kids about Nelson Mandela
The day after one of the world's most influential men died, we must remember to teach our students and children about Nelson Mandela.![]() |
| via: NobelPrize.org |
As I reflect on my career and Mandela's life, this saddens me.
Although Mandela's remarkable worldwide celebrity has made me keenly aware of his exploits, on the day after his death, I find myself researching this amazing man, as if I'd never heard of him. I felt the need for focus on the accomplishments of this legendary figure.
I read numerous articles about Mandela, the man who, after losing 27 years of his freedom in several South African prisons, became his country's first black president and was largely responsible for ending apartheid. Is it possible for young people to comprehend Mandela's suffering and his laurels?
There is so much rich history surrounding Nelson Mandela that needs to be taught in schools worldwide. He was at the center of hate, racism, subjugation, politics, courage, leadership, perseverance and much more.
We often wait too long to recognize true greatness -- a human failing, of which I'm guilty.
If I were teaching today, I would dedicate our learning to the memory of Nelson Mandela. And I would teach about him forever after.

0 comments:
Post a Comment